Monday, January 25, 2010

Do it Anyway

While reading Luke the other day, I came across something that really stood out to me. It has been on my mind and heart ever since that day. Luke 22:47 NKJV says: And while He was still speaking, behold a multitude; and he was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them and drew near to Jesus to kiss Him.

The part of that verse that really stood out to me was While He was STILL speaking... Ever since then I have been pondering that first bit. The reason it stood out to me was because Jesus knew (John 18:4) what was going to happen, yet He was still speaking to His disciples. I'm not entirely sure what He was saying to them, but you know if it was coming out of Jesus' mouth, it was important. That really struck a cord with me because, I look back and see how many times I knew something was going to happen or something that was happening and allowed that to stop me in my tracks. Notice it didn't say while Jesus was still fretting or while Jesus was still worrying, but While He was still speaking. He went on with the mission His(Our) Father had given Him, and accepted it freely. How easy is it to let pending or current circumstances stop us from doing what we should or what we need to be doing? I know it is for me at least. Sometimes it is difficult to press towards the mark (Phil. 3:14). Even though it is difficult that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. After all, you know it had to be very difficult to endure the cross! Many times I tend to focus on things too much and it stops me from making progress. Instead of focusing on the fact that it will happen or has happened, I need to accept it and move on with my life. Often, I have sat there and dwelled on every minute detail, letting it reel in my head over and over. What am I doing? I am sitting there and developing the Whoa is Me syndrome. However, God does not want us to do that. He wants us to stand up and move on, pressing toward the mark. Even though it may be difficult we need to do it anyway! Sometimes situations are difficult and may feel like more than we can bear, but if we push though it, we will come out on the other side stronger and our faith flourishes.

I can give a perfect example (since after all this blog is about me being transparent, right?) I was searching for a job for a long while. I would apply to job after job, and either get no response, or would get an interview and not get a call back. At times I allowed that to become a hinderance for me. I would wallow in self-pity, thinking and sometimes saying, "Oh I will never get a job." I knew the road to finding a job was not going to be easy. I let my unsuccessful attempts get the better of me. Sometimes I didn't even clean or read the word, but would sit there and wonder if I would ever get a job, or I would try to do something else to get my mind off of it(other than something productive). At one point, I even stopped looking, because nothing was turning up. It was so easy to give up. However, we all know that doing what we need to do is not always, or even some of the time easy. Once I was over my bout of pity partiness(making it up as I go folks), I got back on that wagon and started looking again through the encouragement of my husband and friends. (A side note here: I am so thankful God has put these people in my life! Praise God!) After a few failed interviews and being turned down even before I got an interview, I was finally pointed in the right direction. A very awesome lady pointed me to my current job, for which I am extremely grateful. I now have a job, and know that God will give me favor in it (Psalm 5:12). In fact, when I read Luke 22:47, I was at a training for my new job (that I had arrived early for).

Jesus knew what was laid out before Him and He continued to do His(Our) Father's work. That made such an impression on me, just that simple phrase. I want to be like Jesus and do what I am called to do, even when it is difficult. Wow, God is so awesome. God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I can so relate! I'm just mentally and emotionally tired and I know you understand that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post and I appreciate your transparency. Love this and will be sharing on facebook with others.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete

.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Amanda has been writing since her teen years. As a teen, a poem she wrote was published. This inspired her to write more. With each passing day she becomes more and more passionate about creating works of art with her words. When inspiration hits her, God puts new words in her heart. Ultimately, she hopes her words inspire and touch the lives of others as much as it does hers. Amanda believes the desire to write was put there by God, and she wishes to develop her skills in the days, weeks, months, and years to come.